May 31, 2012

Summer in the Cafe

I'm sitting here in the free air condition of the local Starbucks listening to Jack Johnson and others over a venti iced soy latte.  It's nice having a day off from work to enjoy a beverage made by the local barista.  I've made it a goal of mine to get out of my apartment and meet new people.  Both times so far, I have gotten the opportunity to talk to other customers at Starbucks.  I've also decided I should start reading more.  I finally finished Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin, something that took me way too long, as I got sidetracked by The Hunger Games series, which were recommended by my coworkers.  I breezed through those at an unnatural rate for me.  As my job is composed of 90 percent female, I hear banter about the next big series to read: Fifty Shades of Grey, which I will not be reading.  They fantasize about which actor would play the protagonist, suggesting different actors such as Chris Hemsworth, effectively ruining my fascination with the books.  I prefer to remember him as the powerful Thor.

But I digress.  I have started a new book.  Onward, by Starbucks ceo Howard Schultz.  The book discusses how with the rapid expansion of stores, Starbucks lost its focus about customer experience, which it refers to as "The Starbucks Experience," and how quality declined. It references to simultaneous brief closures of all stores nationwide a few years ago, to stress the quality of pouring espresso and steaming milk, as well as  the quality customer experience.  I'll be thinking about the passion that the barista puts in to making each drink as I sip my soy latte.

Reading and enjoying a cool drink in an air conditioned store is probably going to be a regular pastime on my summer days off.  I'll probably be reading, as well as blogging a lot more.  So stay tuned.

No comments: