March 2, 2011

A New Hope

Today I took on responsibility for three patients, trying to challenge myself as a student. I’m learning a lot from my preceptor. I got to see continuous bladder irrigation running, and how to measure output from that. I also learned out dressing changes and wound care, for a patient who had some drainage from a post-op hip surgery. I think, the more clinical hours I’ve been getting in, I’m starting to feel more comfortable with all of the things I need to do. I’m feeling more comfortable in the nursing environment, being independent, doing the assessments and other things with less help. I removed a foley catheter, and learned about the administration of Ativan, used to help calm anxiety. My preceptor continues to encourage and challenge me, which, I think has helped me grow through this process. She’d like me to take on a full load next time. I feel like today’s clinical was a turning point for me, in feeling more comfortable with nursing.

No comments: